- Total number of records you plan to keep in the system
- Amount of available office space you have for a filing system
- Number of personnel who will access the records
- Type of filing equipment you have or plan to buy
Pros and Cons of Top Tab and End Tab Filing Systems
A top tab system is generally best when:
- You have relatively small amounts of records.
- Files are used by only a few personnel
- Records are kept in desk drawers
- Hanging folders are preferred
End tab systems work best when:
- Office space for a filing system is limited
- There are very large numbers of files
- Many people need to access the files at the same time
- Equipment costs need to be kept at a minimum
Either system can be very efficient if a color-coded indexing method is used, and Out Guides are used to track folders that are removed from the system. End tab systems are the most efficient and least costly, but top tab systems are still widely used by most small offices.